Building SOC2 Security Program (High Level) Roadmap
This is assuming you are starting from scratch and covering only SOC 2 Security Criteria and not Availability, Confidentiality, Processing Integrity, and Privacy Criterias. This is also assuming that you will go for the SOC2 Type 2 Report in 12–18 Months.
The Benefits of SOC2
- Establishing a third party opinion on which — or all — of the Trust Services Principles apply to your organization.
- Identifying security gaps in your organization.
- Demonstrating to clients that you truly take the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of their information seriously.
- Differentiating yourself from competing companies who have not achieved SOC
SOC2 consists of three types of documents:
- Narratives: Narratives provide an overview of the organization and the compliance environment.
- Policies: Policies govern the behavior of employees and contractors.
- Procedures: Procedures prescribe specific steps that are taken in response to key events.
SOC2 Type 1 Audit (Only if you have money in the budget for it)
- This will allow your company to look at your security controls at a point in time.
- Around only 2 weeks.
- Decide on the Scope of the Audit
- SOC2 Gap Analysis (If you didn’t do the SOC2 Type 1 report)
- Build a Policy Portal
- Identify and fill gaps in your cybersecurity program.
- Create and Edit Policies and Other documentation.
From the gaps from SOC2 Gap Analysis or SOC2 Type 1 Audit
- Select Tools and Technologies to fulfill these gaps
- IF NO SECURITY TRAINING TOOL: Create security awareness and educational trainings for the company and specific teams (For the time being)
- Complete risk assessments of high risk processes and come up with gaps and recommendations
- Create a governance program for different security areas like Infrastructure, Application, HR and Personnel Security, and others
- Deploy and Integrate GRC Tools across functional teams
- Review Your Vendor/Partner Onboarding Process
Review the contracts of your company Customers, Vendors, and Partners (Ensure contracts are standardized)
- Review 5 Customers
- Review 5 Vendors
- Review 5 Partners
- Organizational Narratives
- Product & Services Narratives
- Control Environment Narrative
- System Architecture Narrative
- Research and Select Security Awareness Training Tool for the organization
- Rollout security awareness trainings for the company and Engineering teams using Security Awareness Training tool
- Start gathering evidence
- Finalize Policies and Procedures
- Successfully Complete SOC2 Type 2 Audit
You can see the ISO 27001 Security program roadmap here.
You can purchase some of my prepared SOC2 documents that are ready for download at https://songer.gumroad.com/